Sunday, July 26, 2009

Interactive Whiteboards in Education -- great tool or just cool?

Our school received an interactive whiteboard (or IWB) at the end of last year. One of our 5th grade teachers spearheaded the use of this new technology (new to our school, anyway), and I was very thankful she did, because that is one less thing I needed to worry about this summer. However, as I would like to use this tool occasionally in my computer lab, and teachers are bound to come to me when they have questions or problems, I figured that I still need to broaden my knowledge of IWBs and how they can be used in the classroom. Therefore, I have put together a short list of websites to use as resources as we embark on this new adventure. I will add to the list as I find new sites that are useful.

These are a starting point. But will the IWB be used often enough and be effective enough to justify the expense? Starting out with one IWB was probably a good idea, so we can get a feel for how well teachers will take to using this new tool in their classroom. Some teachers, like the one I mentioned earlier, are comfortable using technology in the classroom, and will use it a lot. Other teachers are not as comfortable, and I predict will probably not use the IWB at all. And after the novelty wears off, will the IWB still be used regularly, or will it end up in a closet somewhere? I hope that the IWB will be a positive addition to our collection of technology tools, for a number of reasons. First, I don't like to see money wasted (even if it is PTO funds), and IWBs are not cheap (nor are the projectors needed to use with them). Second, I hope it gets teachers more interested in integrating technology into their curriculum, albeit in a superficial way, so that it might open the door for use of other technology as well. Finally, if it gets students more engaged in the lessons, they are more likely to be more successful in school - and isn't that the most important reason of all?

8 comments:

  1. It would probably be more effective as a fixture in the classroom. Signing up for a specific time and then transporting it holds me back from trying it, for sure.

    I love your new blog! You are so great with this technology stuff. Honestly, I've mastered e-mail and now facebook, I think I'm maxed out on my technology portion of my brain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are a great tool AND they're cool! I loved my experience with it and can't wait to learn more. The students LOVE to learn with the interactive white board, which is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the IWB/Smartboards is a wonderful way to incorporate technology in the classroom. I always enjoyed finding ways to use technology; unfortunately, at times, some districts are limited. Now that new computers have been set up, it got the ball rolling. I truly wish we had more within the school! Signing up for a time does give you time to prepare, but before you know it, you have to send it on its way. I think our team wants to use it for some co-teaching strategies as well considering it will get the students even more involved in lessons. I know that if I had one on my classroom all the time that it would become my new board, and MANY more lessons would be prepared through the use of it it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So is this a electronic board that can be moved from room to room? They got these in my grad school department but they were permanent in the room they were set up in. I really like them for giving scientific presentations -- how are they adapted to youngsters?

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen and Michelle,
    I agree that having the IWB in your room full-time would make it easier to use more often...perhaps if the demand is great enough, the district will find a way to purchase more boards, similar to the success of the document camera/projector (ELMO).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren,
    Yes, the board at our school is moveable, although they can be mounted on a wall, etc. Kids LOVE the interactive nature of them...think of it as a giant touch screen! You can also place the "toolbar" at the bottom of the screen, so that it is accessible by kids. I'm looking forward to seeing it in use in my school this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cordis, I am impressed with your blog and all of your tech experience. I think teachers would use the smart boards, especially if they're trained. Way to go! - Jill W. (Palombi)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I know exactly what you are talking about. Many larger businesses and some universities will have digital whiteboards where what is drawn/written on them can be printed or saved and then distributed. I haven't thought about them in the adult context but not for children.

    It is also a question of costs: If a school board opts to buy and maintain a fleet of these plus other technologies required, that might be a cost that might otherwise keep a colleague in a school who would not be layed off....

    ReplyDelete